24 June 2016

My new Painter in Residence, Simon Olsson!



I’m thrilled to share the first project from my latest Painter in Residence, the lovely and supremely talented Simon Ollson! His work with my paint is just gorgeous, and I am amazed at all he has achieved at only 17! Based in Malmo, Sweden, Simon’s work is all about creating gorgeous, textured patina in rich and bold colour combinations. Inspired by bohemian Indian arts and crafts, he pairs bright colours with neutrals to create interesting and complementary colour palettes. 

Simon started his residency by transforming this chair, which was originally painted a gloomy white. To stay in keeping with the classic French bistro style and shape, Simon used complimentary colours from the Chalk Palette to create a gorgeous patina. He started by painting the entire surface in Provence, and then, once dry, he applied a second coat of Chalk Paint in Chateau Grey - a traditional greyed green - evocative of fine old French furniture. He then sanded the paint back in varying amounts, sometimes right back to the original glossy white, taking care to highlight the distinctive shape of the legs and the back. To finish the piece, Simon applied a coat of Clear Soft Chalk Paint Wax.This once glossy metal chair now looks aged, rustic with a sumptuous French farmhouse style.

I love how he has found his personal style so young, he truly is a talented young man, and I can't wait to see what you think of his work!



As ever, let me know your thoughts, or share with me any pieces that you have created that are similar to this chair, on my Facebook, Instagram or Twitter!

Yours, Annie 




4 comments: